What is a product liability case?
Product liability cases or defective products lawsuits focus on whether items put into the commerce marketplace are safe for consumers.
Manufacturers have an obligation to be transparent and forthcoming with information about the safety of their products. But when sold products fail to communicate proper warnings/instructions or are dangerous, the law exists to hold manufacturers accountable.
In legal terms, a product is classified as defective when it is reasonably dangerous when used for its intended purpose. This definition only applies to original products that have not been altered or otherwise interfered with in anyway.
If the item in question causes a person(s) injury as a result of the following reasons, a lawsuit can be filed to recover damages:
- Design defects – A product was designed poorly or was not adequately tested. As a result, the product is below standards and dangerous to use.
- Manufacturer defects – The product was designed to be safe, but the end result did not reflect the original design. Examples include: faulty components, faulty mechanisms, contaminated food, or medical products.
- Marketing defects – The product was properly designed, but it did not have the correct instructions or warnings. This form of negligence makes the product unreasonably dangerous. Examples include: improper labeling, inadequate safety warnings, or inadequate instructions.
How the law offers consumers protection
Fortunately, consumer protection laws exist to award damages if the quality, fitness, or performance of a product proves not to match the terms of sale.
Successful lawsuits result in the plaintiff(s) being awarded compensation from the following parties:
- The store that sold them the product
- The manufacturer that designed and produced the product
Sacramento product liability lawyer
An injury caused by a faulty product due to a manufacturing defect or the negligence of the distributor or retailer may be eligible for compensation. Often, these types of cases can be exceptionally complicated because negligence, product liability, or breach of contract must be proven.
When you hire the Fraser Law Firm, P.C. to handle your case, you can rest assured that you’re getting the best and most effective representation. We have the knowledge, experience, and skills to fight for individuals injured from defective products.
Every client matters. Whether your case is large or small, you will receive expert advice, guidance, and attention from an experienced attorney who will ensure that your rights are protected and that your case is handled professionally.